Coaching Summary: Women’s Development
Rowden Fullen (2002)
- The prime skill of table tennis is to be able to adapt in an ever changing situation. Cultivate adaptive intelligence
- Training is repetition in the right environment and with the right attitude.
- To be a top player your development must be in the right direction for you.
THE IMPORTANCE OF T I M I N G!
Most women drive much more than the men and closer to the table. Timing is more critical than in men's play.
Care with the aspects that can restrict women's development
- PHYSICAL CHAINS – the right basics, techniques, tactics and movement. Materials. Play against other styles from an early age. Women’s play — speed control, opening and converting, serve and receive, use of table and equipment, stronger BH, a winning weapon.
- MENTAL CHAINS — rigidity in play and thinking. Innovation and feeling, positive attitude, be different. Development means always moving forward.
- OWN STYLE – understand this, best distance from the table, know BH and FH split, right movement patterns for your style, how to win points, right training for you.
- ADVANCED TECHNIQUES – short play, pace variation, slow loop both short and long, early ball push, chop/stop blocks, late-timed pushes, blocks and flicks, block play on the FH, use of angles, killing through loop, sidespin loop, dummy loop, early ball smash and hit v topspin, sidespin push and block, short drop balls, alternating topspin and drive, alternating topspin/block.