Seminar on Girls’ Coaching
Rowden Fullen (2001)
GIRLS – KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE WOMEN’S GAME
KNOW HOW TO TRAIN IN THIS — plus ADAPTATION CAPABILITY
KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING IN TERMS OF OWN DEVELOPMENT
1. The coach’s job is to unlock the capabilities of his player so that she can reach her full potential.
- Coaches and trainers.
- Women a completely different ballgame.
- More women’s styles and more often changing.
- With less informed guidance women must control own direction more.
- TIME in relation to depth and predictability.
- SPIN Men face power and spin, women speed and flatter ball.
- TIMING Almost always earlier in women's play.
- WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE FIRST OPENING BALL IS CRUCIAL.
2. Ready position and stance.
- Backhand from middle.
- CONTROL SPEED.
- Movement patterns.
- Opening and ‘converting’.
- Short play.
- Serve and receive.
- Change of speed.
- Use of table and equipment.
- Winning weapon.
- UNDERSTAND OWN STYLE. Direction and right training.
3. Top women's tactics.
- Kill loop, vary spin.
- Early ball push and smash.
- Sidespin push and block.
- Block play.
4. Women and material.
- Adaptation capability in early training
- Pimples control spin and speed.
- Pimples vary spin and speed.